Sometimes ideas pop into my head during the middle of my reading class or as I'm walking down the street towards Zhongguancun or even Wudaokou, but then I forget to write them down.
This one is a compilation of the odd and stupid encounters I have been lucky to have witnessed in the past few months. What I've learned after trials and constant headaches is that racial profiling is a compliment. Either you take it or you leave it. For most part I neither take it or leave it. I get upset or quite irate. Yes irate.
Any time I leave the protection of my humble bungalo of rm 505 in the luxurious Shaoyuan #9 (which is like a palace compared to shit holes of Shaoyuan #1, Shaoyuan #2, 3 and 4. I haven't found five yet. It is still a complete mystery to me. ) I always get confronted with this question when I encounter the natives. 8 out of 10 times.
"Are you Korean?" Now where did you get that impression? Do I release a scent that makes you release the hound dogs? Doubtful.
I barely even say anything. I don't even have a Korean Chinese accent. Where does the profiling come from? I thought I figured it out with a list I wrote up.
How to identify a Korean student on Beida campus (for the most part)
1) baseball cap
2) sweat pants
3) BIG FRAMED GLASSES
4) hoodies
5) sneakers (mostly chuck taylors)
6) Bonus points if you spot one on a scooter
7) Tend to cluster
8) Smoking in clusters
I have exhibited NONE of the 9 traits that I have seen for the most part. I do wear a hoody on occasion, but that's it.
My stubborn self was always taken back by "you're Korean right?" and that's because I'm not Korean. Period. Now and then it does hurt my feelings when my own people. The country where my family has roots in cannot even recognize that I'm Chinese. I have a last name. I speak Mandarin with a standard and accurate tone. I dont have a American Chinese "banana" accent. Anyone catch that reference? How is it possible for people to be this judgemental? Sure were all human, and we all judge, but must you assume that I'm Korean?
More later, but for now I have a pile of homework. The new semester has begun
No comments:
Post a Comment