Monday, November 9, 2009

Breaking news: Thundersnow in Beijing

After Lisa came and we all had a fabulous acoustic session I went back to study. Simply listening to some music while I browse around on my computer when I hear this crashing boom that caught the attention of my roomate (Sarah) and me. I rip off my headphones. It sounded like a cannonized boom. Light snow flakes were hitting the ground an hour ago when I got back from the Bridge Cafe in Wudaoko (The Beijing version of Boulder's "The Hill") but as we thrashed the curtain open and saw a blanket of white. Minutes later another crackling erupted in the heavens. Thunder? Was that really thunder? A thundersnow storm? Very rare. I don't even remember discussing it in my ENJOYABLE "Atmosphere 1050" lecture last spring. Then after looking up "thunder snow" on google it led to an article on wikipedia. Mostly thundersnows are very rare and they mostly happen with "Lake effect snows." Or a normal thunderstorm rolls in or snow storm...but again rare.

Lake effect snows. I have heard of that before, but that occurs around a large body of water. Beijing isn't even close to...a large lake. Other people came out to look at the snow. But let's take it back a second. How is this a phenomenon for us? Most of my hallmates attend university where there is heavy snow. Okay back to bed. Then Keegan came out of his room. He found it very strange to have a thundersnow. "It's the end of the world." He whispered.

I'm going to bed. Let's pray for school to get canceled.
The international students are having a frolic in the snow. By international I mean my study abroad group. The natives think were crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment