Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Maintaining my energy (sanity)

The weather in Shanghai has finally decided to take a step down from a raging fever of 104 F (40C) to a calmng 25-30 degrees Celsisus aka 80-88 ish deegress. There are the Indian summer days that come out of nowhere then I turn into a pile of mush. It's not fun.

In order to maintain some amount of sanity as I work and herd in thousands upon thousands of workers...it's good to have the following

1) A good sense of humor and laughing a lot
2) Staying hydrated during these hot summer months (and yes it's been very very hot. If I forget/get lazy and not take a shower when I come home from work I feel like a sticky piece of candy lying in my bed. Not the best feeling in the world
3) Not eating junk food. And yet it is so easy to eat crap upon crap at the expo. I am surrounded by fast food chains (KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger king, junk food at the Family Mart)
4) Playing down people's dumb antics and sensitive questions with rhetorical questions. "Are you Chinese are American?"
Response: "This is the USA pavilion isn't it?"
5) oatmeal w/honey and peaches for breakfast
6) Having a daily workout/sweating like a madman as you dance and entertain people at turnstiles just so they can put up with the 10 minute wait. Whenever the turnstiles lock up when the count hits 500 people, many tend to freak out because 1) their loved ones are already in the overture 2) separation creates panic. I noticed if you remind them "hey it's only 7-10 minutes" then they calm down. Sometimes that's not the case and people duck under and flee into the pavilion. That's my/security's cue to escort them back. this escalates at times when people get very upset, start shouting at me or any other USAP student Ambassador.
"BUT MY KID IS IN THERE< MY MOM IS IN THERE< WHY WON'T YOU LET ME IN???!!!"
7) Daily stretching.
8) Blasting some good music at turnstiles, such as MGMT, Shakira, anything to pump you up. But I will never fist pump in the air.

I've never been nearly knocked down by volume until I came to China. Never would I have thought someone's screaming volume could make me take several steps back.

No comments:

Post a Comment