Thursday, September 9, 2010

Learning from Expo

Every day working at the USA comes all kinds of stories, sometimes they are good and sometimes bad. There are days when I come home tired, stressed out and very upset from what I encountered; not so friendly remarks, arguments, even to the extent of brawls in our queue lines (that's right some idiot decided to have a smackdown with the plastic chairs a few weeks ago), cat fights, and getting tackled by old ladies. Luckilly I haven't been pushed down by an old lady, but my co worker Kaitlin did. Perhaps football originated in China because I've never seen old people do such a thing.
People definitely have tested my patience, sometimes people's bizzare behaviors (such as jumping over turnstiles, smoking on our grounds, getting a little physical, harassing...kids urinating on trees....yes it's not sugar coated dream land sometimes) really get on my nerves.
Then one day, I lost control. It's perfectly normal according to our Ops duty to get really stressed out and lose our patience when at work. Afterwards I felt terrible getting a little testy with two women who were trying to sneak into our fast access lane. What dawned on me/clicked in my head was when my ops duty Luke said to me, "Susan, deescalate."

That's all it took to calm my senses down and made me realize that I needed to exhale and release the frustration out. That one word was a revelation. That's all I needed to remind myself of every time something was about to frustrate me.
every morning or afternoon before I go through the security check-in I constantly have this mantra in my head "deescalate, remember to deescalate, take a step back, calm down, just remember to breathe (otherwise you're gonna pop a vein!!)"

Lesson from expo: remember to deescalate and always take a step back from a sticky situation.

I usually try to remind myself every morning as I walk to work to not

No comments:

Post a Comment