Friday, July 30, 2010

Training Day Take 2

Yesterday I had my day off, but sadly I didn't really do anything exciting until late evening. The previous night I got to visit the Chilean pavilion and Phillipines where both hosted a fantastic get together with great music, and piscola sours. Never have I had one and it was quite tasty. My roommate got to meet one Chilean volunteer, Nick who was kind enough to invite us to some Chilean piscola, music, and really warm people. I met some of the house musicians who are sadly leaving very soon.


(Nick and me at the Chilean pavilion)


Training Day 2

Yixian below showing us sweat residue ....YOU ARE GROSS
"LOOK AT THE SWEAT SALT SUSAN"

No I don't want to because I'm already sweating buckets as it is.

Everyone was schedule for training either Tuesday/Thursday or Wednesday/Friday. As for me, I am in the W/F group. Luckily training day part 1 on Wednesday wasn't so intense thanks to the US consulate BBQ. We got to end our training at 2pm! rather than 8 pm or worse 10pm, but we are fortunate enough to breeze through training with confidence and comfort.
When I got into Shanghai, the weather was comfortable, wasn't extreme or too much to handle, but somehow mother nature decided to turn ugly and give us some brutal heat and horrendous humidity. All of us have been sweating like a sizzling jalapeno. It's not even funny anymore, my legs and thighs have been drenching in sweat. Sorry that is a little too much information, but i see everyone's sweat marks on their backs, waist lines....and the shower of sweat that is seen on everyone's heads.

Around lunch time I was able to attend a volunteering event that we (USAP) was hosting. USAP is trying to do more community outreach in Shanghai and today Dan Whitaker (community director) hosted a lunch/tour for these migrant school children from the Minghang migrant school. I got to have lunch with them at our "QSR" or quick serve restaurant which serves KFC, fast food what not.

The little kids I got to sit with were very rambunctious and silly and yet very sweet. All the little boys shouted for water, drinks, straws and we got them replenished as soon as we could.
"It's so hot, can we please have water????"
"Yes yes yes, it'll be over here soon"
Everyone got little boxes of pizza, pepperoni and classic supreme. We got handed forks, understandable since the pizzas were very hot, but I made sure everyone got to eat them correctly, with hands of course. If I'm not mistaken by memory I think several of the kids said that this was their first time eating pizza or eating real US pizza. None the less many of them liked it, one boy Peter preferred a sweeter fair. I joked saying he should have a pie instead if he wanted something sweeter.
"Let Wang laoshi (teacher) have the first slice" Shelly mentioned to the group. I was touched by this little girl's manners and genuineness. Other tables had a very different group dynamic. All girls, all from ages 11-13 (but they look 8!!!) and all looking very well dressed, with their pretty hair bands, scrunchies, and colorful hairclips were very excited to meet one of our SA's working VIP, David Ge Ge 哥哥 or David brother (since he is older, one addresses's them by their age group, I fall under big sister or worse Auntie since for some reason I look older, perfect).

The little girls were so charmed by David's presence as he sat down and chatted with the girls. They requested him to sing songs, ask him his age, what he likes to do.
"Act like ladies everyone, you are all here to learn and everyone must be lady like!!" their teacher said, "thank David 哥哥 for coming, do you like David? do you find him to be 帅 (handsome)"

"YESSSS!!!!!!!!!" They all shrieked.

Our dance team "Dance America" (LA based dance troupe) had their afternoon performance which the kids all got see front row center, and roped off from everyone else. Yes it is exclusive but it's an opportunity for these kids who are the underdogs in life to see something exciting and fun. For a lot of kids, it's their first time interacting with Americans other than their American English teachers.


**Story of the Day**
I wish I got a picture of this little girl, but i'm sure there are plenty of pictures our communiations bureau snapped of everyone. After lunch and the show, we escorted our little VIP's up to color and to play some interaction games with other student ambassadors. We played "hot potato", "Simon Says" (if there is a Chinese equivilant name which I KNOW there is, I need to know!) and "Heads up Seven up!". We handed out stickers, M&M's as prizes, which the kids went crazy for. One The little girl that I came to adore was this little, short, and plumpy girl who had very dark skin from being out in the sun. She was very excited when we mentioned we were going to the Belgian pavilion afterwards.

"Were going to the Belgian pavilion after this everyone. Does everyone know Beligum?"
"OOOO Really??!! YAY YAY *claps, I hope I can eat some Belgian chocolate!!!"
her teacher interjected with the weirdest explanation
"Eating chocolate makes you darker and you're dark enough!"
I then added, "well there's nothing wrong with being a little tan"

the little girl smiled and said, "darker skin is healthy"
then the girl next to her said, "you're fat as it is, you don't need anymore chocolate, you need to lose weight."
And this is coming from a 12 year old. Man that was harsh! Rob and I were in shock. Harsh, I would've cried. But this girl had tough skin and didn't care what she said because she loved herself. Good for you!! I"m glad the social pressures have not crushed your spirit little one.



No comments:

Post a Comment