Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The heat and frenzy of Shanghai



As I look out my window and look at the Huangpu river, I can't help but notice where I am and what my current environment is.

My world has been a mix of Chinese and English. In the past, when I'm in China it's mostly saturated in Mandarin. Now thanks to a year of intensive Chinese, I can fully understand what on earth is going on, what the street signs say, how to get to certain areas.

I am drowning in Chinglish. Pie is pie in Mandarin, so is toast, "toe-si", yogurt is "youge" and the list goes on.


Now that I have my handy dandy super spiffy Expo VIP pass, you feel like a VIP as you just roll right on into almost every pavilion (Japan pavilion, please cave in onegai shimasu!), and at the same time you are subject to the envy of every Chinese person who hopped on a bus from middle of nowehere Sichuan, rode for days just to get to Shanghai and wait in line for hours upon hours in 35 C humidity. The thousands upon thousands of people who get to the World Expo by 8 am is beyond real

There's so many places to explore and to soak in. I'm so thrilled to be here. I can't express how grateful and lucky I am to be able to participate in such a global event.

The other night we were able to attend a few expo parties that happen after hours. I got to hear the eclectic tunes of Akiri ONE MORE TALE by Akiri

(Danish band) performing at the Austrian pavilion, groove to some awesome Chilean Spanish music with my roommates and see how crazy and passionate Filipinos are as they dance the night away. Great music, really amazing and fascinating people from all walks of life have come together to enjoy one's company no matter what politics, country, religion you have. So far I am stoked at this chance.


The USA Pavilion has been so generous in what they have provided for each and every one of us Student Ambassadors. I especially appreciate the all expenses paid trip, accommodations, information and everything they have provided. How can I thank y'all? I'll do my best at my job as student ambassador then (knock on wood)

No comments:

Post a Comment