
The long grueling 14 hours on a plane to Shanghai finally ended. The screaming baby continued into the terminal. I hope she saw a doctor.
We were greeted by USAP staff and our director Peter Winter, and Rebecca Reser.
The weather in Shanghai was fairly humid as we entered the heat wave. Bless the full blast A/C in the bus and every building we set foot into.
We got our ID's aka our credentials that WE HAVE TO HAVE ON US AT ALL TIMES. Otherwise it's going to be a pain to get back into our apts. All of us have to scan in at security checkpoints around the village, which are at every entrance. The place is guarded like a ciatadel, with electric fences, security guards, and cameras. They are there to make sure we are safe, but sometimes the theater the security guards play is beyond ridiculous. Sometimes they are very relaxed, other times it's very stringent, and sometimes they are texting while they monitor check in. It's odd I tell you.

Right when we arrived to check in at the "Donghu Apartment Hotels", USAP handed us our ID's, these nice Chinese brand mobile phones, a goodie bag, and keys to our apartment.
For now, I am living on the 14th floor with Kelly, Jamie and Jane (all of us American Chinese). Jamie also has a blog too. http://jamieseemsamused.blogspot.com/

This is temporary because they are moving us in a couple weeks to an even nicer apartment in the village. We have a fantastic view of the river, and our living arrangements are beyond what I expected. Even though I saw pictures of our apartments, I am still in shock of how nice it is.
Furnished kitchen, living, dining, bathroom and Hans Von Meister kindly ordered a goodie box and fridge for us temporary residents. The goodie box was filled with kitchen/bathroom needs, mosquito coils, trash bags, paper towels. It's really generous of how well they are taking care of us. Our new apartment will come with a washer and drying rack (drip dry in China). I'm so excited
This isn't a job, this is more of a vacation! Way better than school.
Later on the first night, we were given a pizza party. Free pizza? Fine I'll take it. Free beer? That is also nice too. We over ordered, but hey I wouldn't mind taking pineapple pizza back into our dorms. Cold pizza for breakfast is fairly tasty.
The following morning, most of us shot up right out of bed at 5 am. What seemed like 10 am is actually 5:30 Am. I'm soaking up a Shanghai sunrise and it is beautiful. Here I am, in Shanghai as a Student Ambassador participating at a World Expo, which the world seems to brush past. There's not a lot of coverage in the states, and if there is, it tends to be negative or critical.
my roomates Jamie and I did a little exploring around expo village, found the gym, paid for internet and got some tasty noodles in a Lanzhou style noodle house outside the gate. Lanzhou style noodles are a hit everywhere these days. I've been exposed to Lanzhou style food since I was a kid since well...Mama and Papa Wang grew up in Lanzhou and fed me noodles since I was 4. None the less still quite delicious.

Around 2pm, Student Ambassadors all boarded a bus to get to the Fabric Market to get tailored and fitted for our new uniforms. Not to complain, but if the Italian pavilion could get Prada to sponsor their uniforms, why couldn't we get American Eagle or even Ralph Lauren? Just a suggestion. Shanghai's Fabric Market is the equivalent to Beijing's Silk Market. Filled with all kinds of things you don't need but oh you do want 30 scarves and every color! I look forward to getting a tailored suit, and if my exercise pulls off..I will get a Chinese qipao.
Many of us quickly ran away from Fabric market when our time was done. I quickly met Peter, Brian (I met on the plane too), and Rob from Mississippi. All of us chatted away as we got on the subway to go to the Bund 外滩。It was a beautiful afternoon. I look forward to the coming days and training in the humid days of Shanghai. It's gonna be a hot mess!
(Left to right: Jamie, Melissa, me, Peter, Brian, Rob, and Kelly)
I LOVE SHANGHAI EXPO
No comments:
Post a Comment