




This weekend excursion out to Xi an has proved to be one of the most adventurous time I've had in China. It's probably due to the place, timing and the weather.
Place: Xian
Timing: weekend (with barely any homework)
weather: Gorgeous (blue skies and breezy)
I frantically threw in some clothes and supplies into my backpack and we began our way to Beijing West Train Station. Things worked out better than I expected. We took the bullet train (or the fastest train in Chin "Z" train) and CIEE managed to grab soft sleepers for everyone. Beats the previous hard sleepers we've had.
The train station was flowing with people. Somehow we managed to come across a big, and 'large' group from Paris who coincidentally were also heading to Xian. Bon Voyage to you too.
In addition to new faces, CIEE also hired a new intern, who we will call Chandler.
"Chandler?? like in F.R.I.E.N.D.S?"
"yes! *he laughs" His squirrel esque cheeks made me love him even more.
Madness ensued shortly. For some reason, we (college students) can come up with the most ridiculous themes (excuses) to throw a party. "TRAIN PARTY!!!" people kept shouting. The train attendants kept whispering under their breath "there's students in this car!..ALL STUDENTS" Austin's room blasted club music while people came and went through the narrow hallway that we had as the train hustled out of Beijing.
For the most part, everyone was going crazy; laughing, yelling, and yes drinking a little tsingtao to get through the night. My compartment was a little more mellow, but we still enjoyed everyone's company (non stop laughing and disappointing ghost stories)
The next morning, we woke up and found our selves in Xian. The train flew by farm fields, dug out cliff dwellings, and to the beautiful site of lush green. Spring is finally here. Little dots of green spread all over farm lands and trees. It's depressing to realize that I've been stuck in miserable gray for the past 6 months, but now i appreciate even more how refreshing green grass can be.
Our tour guide for Xian was an adorable girl by the name of Xiao Dan.
"Welcome to Xian, we have such wonderful weather today, I think its because you brought nice weather into Xian, yesterday, the weather was cloudy, but today it is beautiful so thank you!"
First stop of the day: into the Muslim quarter/The Great Mosque
My first impression of this Great Mosque was "this is a Mosque?" Are you sure?
It looked like every other Chinese style piece of architecture I have encountered on this trip. So lesson of the day, there are Chinese style mosque's and Islamic style. I have only seen Islamic style up to this day.
None the less I still very much enjoyed the Great Mosque of Xian. The weather was simply wonderful. I soaked in the beautiful sunshine and enjoyed the site of blooming flowers on the trees. Someone tell me what kind of flowers are these. I should probably buy a flora and fauna book with my lack of flower knowledge. Magnolias?
No comments:
Post a Comment