Thursday, October 22, 2009

Heading to Nanjing

CIEE had another weekend excursion. This time my adventure went down to Jiangsu province; the old capital of Nanjing.

We begin our story at Beijing Central Railway station. Pushed and prodded into a densely packed rail station. You try not to trip on the masses squatting on the ground as they wait until they can board the platform.

The overwhelming chocked atmosphere wasn't bearable for me. i had to escape (along with several others) to the outside.

As the train moved along towards Nanjing Jill wasn't feeling too well. I think she got an anxiety attack soon after wards. Her breathing was heavy and short and she said, "I think I'm about to pass out." I notified Bryan (Li Laoshi) who brought out a bag full of western meds. "Take your pick" as if to say. It was a little difficult to explain what Jill was suffering from. 'Anxiety attack' is not really something common for Chinese vocabulary. What do I say, she's suffering from a sense of panic? That's the only way to put it along with other things.
The train attendant made a P.A in search of a doctor. First nurse came and made a horrifying suggestion, Jill refused the offer. Then a Chinese man approached who I assumed was a doctor. he started speaking American English to us. Thank God, I thought to myself. A doctor! But I assumed much to quickly because clutchd in his hand was black skinned book with the words "HOLY BIBLE" written across the front. Oh no. Not a bible thumper.

"I'm not a doctor, but I heard about you oer the PA but I am a believer of Christ. I would like to pray for you as I believe that Jesus can heal you."

Upon hearing this come out of his vocal box I politely told him to leave our presence. What I meant to say was "get out. GET OUT!! HEARD ENOUGH" Couldn't believ that the train attendant allowed him through! Sure she meant good but neither Jill or I was Christian or beleived that religious could cure her anxiety in a totally crazy foriegn country. May I remind you is China.

No comments:

Post a Comment