Monday, September 14, 2009

First day of school! First day of school! (not that exciting Nemo)

First day of school has officially begun for the entire campus. My first class ended right when lunch began. Let me tell you that the traffic at Beida campus is a nightmare all over again. Sea of people!
To make life even more painful you've got cyclists attempting to make through the swarm of sheep. I'm going to try and find the gy soon. I think my body is screaming from the Beijing pollution.

Amy's birthday was celebrated with Haagen daaz ice cream cake and some karaoke! People say "KTV" now, I guess it's more politically correct. Delicious ice cream, but sadly we had leftovers? Why the long face? Beida enjoys depriving us of a luxury. Is a fridge tha so card to concieve? Peiyi and i went to pick up the cakes by taxi. It's a 20 minute walk, but by car it's 5 minutes to get to Zhongguancun. Our cabbie was not happy when he found out our journey was only 1-2 miles. Forgive me for not walking to Zhongguancun and THEN to the FX hotel (where Amy was enjoying birthday festivities), but ice cream cakes melt and I just wanted to save a little time.

We were this close to a huge fight igniting in the axi. He wanted to make more money and scolded us because "we didn't understand the concept (of earning money)". Cabbies want to drive long distances=more money. Clearly understandable, but don't blow up in the customer's face. That's one thing to be keenley aware of in Beijing. People are terribly frank here.

2nd thing to be aware of: Difference in customer service. (US vs. PRC)
Man! Are employees rude here. Were so accustomed to performing at our job with patience and helping others. Otherwise incompetence and attitude will get our ass fired. No one cares here. I just get scorned and scolded when I can't find something at the undergound 'mini mart' in Wumei (on campus). It's similar to a waterdowned version of the American WalMart but underground! (oh and they have walmart here too..*gag).
"excuse me, do you guys sell dish soap?"

"I don't know!"

"oh geeze..okay..."

*minutes later

"sorry, do you guys carry sponges?"

"I don't know...we don't sell them!"

"isn't it your JOB to know? How long have you been working here?"

"不知道!Don't know!!"

wow...can you say "I hate my job?"

I don't know why her attitude trampled on my face, but I almost blew up. I really wanted to begin a Chinese public argument with her. However I am better than that. I am a civilized person. I'm a college student, I should know how to be civil. There's a common generalization that educated people are well rounded people, cultured 有文化 (have culture). Be that as it may people can still act like a total douchebag.

I wasn't going to take any of her attitude.

"IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU WORKING HERE? DO YOU WANT YOUR JOB?"

I found the dish soap and the sponges. They were in the grocery aisle. Thanks bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment