Thursday, August 20, 2009

Shanghai: Harder, Better, faster, Stronger

Recognize the lyrics? "Harder, better, faster, stronger." is a portion of the lyrics from Daft Punk's song "Harder better faster stronger." Redundant? Sorta. Though that's what pops into my head when I look at Shanghai right now. Currently the city is going through another round of hardcore construction and clean up in preparation for the 2010 World's Expo. It's the World's Fair basically. Dont' worry. If you've never heard of it. You're not alone. It's another extravaganza hosted by another city where they build tremendous monuments and use countless man hours to build stadiums, buildings and much more. Shanghai has less than a year to prepare for the festivities this coming May. OY!
Though they're doing it 'harder, better, faster ...and stronger. Things are getting done.
pfff I sure hope so. Construction is all over the city. Big posters cover up future sites with slogans and images of children from all over the world uniting to celebrate the World's Expo.

"Better city, better life" Is the theme for the expo. So far I feel that Shanghai is a lot cleaner. People most of the time do follow the traffic signals. Then the other times you're nearly ran over or someone cuts you left and right on the bloody highway. I have no idea how my Aunt Chen Dong drives in this madness. you've got pedestrians, bikers, motorcylists, scooters, and ....random man pulled carts. I haven't seen the 3 wheeled rickshaw taxi. They're probably gone from the equation now.

Shanghai is a global melting pot. I've never seen so many foriegners in any Chinese city until now. I heard glimpses of Spanish, Italian, French and the Aussie accent many a times.

No comments:

Post a Comment