Saturday, August 22, 2009

I sent Mom, Aunt and Peter to the airport today. Mom suffered a little cold yesterday. Headache, fever. Yeah getting on a flight would pull up a red flag! I hope we snipped it in the bud with Tylenol: SEVERE COLD. Hope it worked. Peter had a bit of a stomach bother when after check in. Before they went through security we said our farewells (for now!) It got emotional for my Aunt. I was definitely not expecting tears to well up from Aunt Dora. I was expecting that from me Mother. Peter quietly reached out for a hug "well Goodbye..." I was surprised by that. Don't know why it's odd for me to see Peter show his sensitive side. It was like he was 6 again. The previous night it was he who mentioned that "this would be the last time (till next summer) we could stay up and talk till were silly."
I felt rather silly when Aunt's eyes were welling up. I didn't cry. To make it even more silly I decided that we should have a group hug. Yeah we got looks. The emoitnal goodbye with the family was a foriegn concept to me. I've always seen my Aunt with a smile or worried look, but tears? Never.


Oh funny story. the previous day Aunt and I ran some morning errands near our house. We went to the confectionary-DAMN IT I just found a mosquition sucking on my face. I scratched my cheek and a big bloody mosquition landed SMACK DAB on my journal. Now my face has a big bump. Crap.
ANYWAYS we also went to the pharmacy. More like a Costco pharmacy. First counter we got info from had your array of goodies. Cialis, Levitra, and to top it off; VIAGRA!

"Aunt! Aunt! I really need viagra please." I joked.

She punched my arm teasingly and we laughed our way up the escalator.
Later we popped into your bootleg DVD shop. Totoro kept going in and out of Japanese/Mandarin dub for 20 seconds every so often. Angels and Demons? If you read the book you'll hate Ron Howard. Oh and the subtitles were obviously recycled in 5 languages and then back into English.

Chinese TV: Were gonna act like our neighbors

TV programming here (I'm talking about your TV dramas) embraces the pop culture of its neighbors: Korea & Japan. The influence on tv is a riot. Last night I saw a dubbed Korean soap. The acting is over the top. I guess it's because it was a romantic comedy. Just now there's a Japanese soap on ICS (International Channel: Shanghai).

A couple argues. Each part ways, gets drunk in front of their friends, then walk around town and coincidentally sees one another. A stare. Then, confessions about love and committement take place that last 10 minutes. Suddenly she asks, "do you want to play a game?"
Marriage proposal over a token game of "Grab the stuffed animal" arcade game.

Friends announce that they're leaving for NYC. People follow.

Rock band plays in the square.

Tomato ramen. WHAT? WHAT A FORIEGN CONCEPT

Chinese TV: Foriegners make mucho.
I guess if you're out of a job in Australia, you enjoy talking, and fairly attractive then getting a job as a tv host in China is a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment