Thursday, May 6, 2010

In Shanghai....in Shanghai


"I want to see youth!! I want to see life and energy with you kids, because you are the world!" -Park Hyatt manager.
"Now go dance! (and I'll provide you with two bottles of free champagne) We love Shanghai for a reason. Go to Sky bar at the World Financial tower in Shanghai's Pudong district. The highest bar iin the world. Perhaps you'll get free champagne with your youthful looks. In all seriousness we were the youngest people there. I guess the 21+ crowd doesn't venture into sky bar that often.

I'll always be in love with the French Concession. The French did something right in Shanghai, by making Xuhui and Luwan district one of the cleanest and most charming neighborhoods in the east.


Open split pants. A common site in China. this kid was just out in the open at the Bund. I wonder what would happen if the little kid decided to do his business on his Dad's shoulder. Poor father.


Enjoying a little soup dumpling. Straw necessary. Caution: hot soup coming in. 14 RMB. Worth it...if only it was bigger. Then again if you want to wait in line at the famous dumpling shop...knock yourself out. It's going to be a 4hr + wait. Bribe all you want.


At the Bund around 4 pm, Jess and I were about to see Avatar in a few hours time. After about a year or more of construction the bund walkway is available to the public. Believe me there were a million people out and about enjoying the breeze of the Huangpu river.


Making chocolate. Thanks to Time out: Shanghai! magazine, Jess spotted an article about making little chocolates. Chinese couples tend to seek out this little hidden class to make chocolates or cakes together. There's also a little movie theatre in the attic where you can get a little cozy and snuggle with your significant other. I'll pass. Thanks to google and a chinese form of ..google, the little chocolate place is in fact in someone's apartment, an old old old Shanghai turn of the century apartment. Up the steepest staircase that could kill you and you'll find Ding Ding's little chocolate class. He'll put on some calming chill bro music as the chocolate bars heat up. Then it's real simple. Pour the sweet liquid into the molds (which are ice cube molds that you can get at your local Ikea, etc) and freeze them for about 10 minutes. They're pretty sweet.

Oh Shanghai, how I fall in love with you every time

No comments:

Post a Comment