Friday, October 23, 2009

Waking up in Nanjing


I woke up to a red sun, a Jiangsu sunrise that halo'ed over the sleeping hour of 6 am. My alarm clocks was the opening of the curtains, the beams of early sunshine piercing into my sleepy eyes. Thanks Miss Train Attendant. Alarm #2 came right after with the shouting. "COFFEE!! (咖啡)MILK (牛奶) TEA (茶水)" with a trolley cart crashing down the corridor. My bladder needed the bathroom and I didn't have the pateince to stand in line in my car. So I walked up the train, and walked past the naties who were just waking up even more dazed and confused by the site of a 5'7 girl with a Boston hoody and running shoes. Finally car #8 or 11, I didn't have to wait for the W.C. The walk back to car #2 I was shadowing the breakfast trolly who woke up everyone with the breakfast call, "Deserts (点心) Buns (馒头) 8 treasured porridge 八宝粥!!!!" It was so catchy.
[John is eying the breakfast cart}
Couldn't stop repating it to my CIEE group. My teachers were amused with the near perfection of mocking his southern Chinese Jiangsu accent. I think Jill was about to slap me :-D
Merrin and Sarah Christian and Martin
Kent is snoozing away

No comments:

Post a Comment