Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nanjing Day 2: Happier ending

After the somber museum trip, we made our way to Nanjing's shopping district to visit H& M. Yeah for retail therapy. Lisa and I got lost in Sephora. I was never into the fashion or makeup scene in Boulder. 1) I was lazy 2) I didn't have a great attitude of my self-image 3) I'm a chicken.
I got great tips from Lisa Choi....the sister from another mother....father. Well I guess I do look Korean enough.

While others strayed into the expat district for dinner, I really wanted to get a taste of the local food and in the mood for some local exploration. I'm in Nanjing aren't i? Lisa was happy to be apart of the adventure. We took the subway, which only has one line! VERY easy to navigate. and instead of tickets, the ticket machine spits out tokens.

Environmentally friendly!


Dinner was quite delectable, got a taste o Nanjing's famous salted suck,fresh stir fried asparagus and "lion's head" aka a GIANT MEATBALL>


Consider this a light dinner cuz our real intentions was the street food!
we dived into the tasty treats on the infamous Henan Road
1) Waffle ice cream sandwich with honey


2) Little octopus (made me slightly hesitant to try but he put PLENTY of spices on it)


3) Scorpions (I was about to pass on this one). then again they were the tiny ones. Both of us were reluctant to eat the bigger harder shelled crustaceans.


They even sold silkworms, centipedes, and TARANTULAS.Two Americans walked by, glanced at the treats with a horrified expression. "ARE THOSE REAL?!"
Susan: Yes they're real. Try it.
"NOOOO wayyy man."
Somehow I said, "hey man I don't even have balls and I'm gonna try the scorpion." They applauded. Finally I embarked on tasteless fried crunchy nothing. Don't worry it's caught on tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment