"Susan...Susan.."
I quickly woke up from my sleep. I glanced at my alarm clock. Phew it's not late. I looked at Sarah who uttered my name.
"I think I have swine flu." Oh crap.
I rose to my feet. She said she had all the symptoms. Even more crap. Okay let's not panic here. We went through all the precautionary steps before calling CIEE. Meds were taken, I gave her some vapor rub for the sore throat. Liu Laoshi told us on the phone not to panic, to let Sarah miss orientation and that someone will take her to the hospital. This is NOT the way any of us want to start the program.
When we entered the FX hotel we climbed the stairs and breathed in the smell of dried paint. Incredible aroma. We were greeted with a warm embrace as our group got herded into orientation. There I finally met Tedi Tsuruda (I'm not kidding you, but she looks like Peri's sister Ashley). Sadly I found out a majority of people are only here for a semester. *cries
I'm so thrilled with the people in my group. They're all really sweet, care free, and have kept a good..no fantastic sense of humor. (At least for the people I've met....)
There are many classmates here who have different ambtions for their stay in Beijing. Some are here to tackle Chinese with constant studying, others are more balanced, and some are here to just have fun.
Welcome to CIEE: Please stick this thermometer in your mouth so we know you don't have swine flu.
Tian Lao Shi 老师 guided us through orienaiton. She went through everything so calmly in such a melodic, mellow sweet voice. The moment she came into the room she smiled with her eyes. Her voice was reassruing, it calmed our existing anxieties. I just hope Sarah is alright.
"Your going to eat with Chinese, speak with Chinese, and sleep with Chinese." Tian Lao Shi said. The room erupted with laughter. I think she missed that. And also I think misunderstood what she just uttered from her mouth. She meant to dream in Chinese. At least that's what we hope.
Complete utter silence as Tian Lao shi mentioned the serious consequences regarding drug use. The penalty is death. So....don't even think about lighting some green during your stay here essentially. Crack is also bad. Meth too.
I'm really looking foward to the coming semester. The sights and adventures our group will see is making me really pumped up.
1st trip: Henan. The Shaolin Temple. We saw the picture in the presentation and the entire room broke out in squeals of adoration. It was a photo of two little monks, maybe 5-6 years of age maybe 7 yrs of age crouched down in a field of grass stroking a little white rabbit. . How cute is that??
Trip #2: Nanjing. Even more excitement surging through my veins. TO make this even better we are travelling by train. My heart is fluttering. Hmmm satisfied.
We were also informed of the incentives of only speaking Mandarin only during our stay. Today they threw a scavenger hunt on us. We were to answer these questions THREE! Kidding. We had to go to Wudaoko (college hangout) to answer 6 questions.
The prize: Chinese writing system book. My eyes were fixated on that wonderful book. I was set on winning. The girls behind me were also out to win and whipped out schemes and shortcuts. Dont' cheat! The would do anything! What is this? The Amazing Race? I was a little woried abotu the competitions and their thougsh of cheating to win. I will have none of that :)
I saw that group of ABC's tear out from lunch. "Well there goes the book" I thought to myself. OUr group turned into two groups and split two cabs to Wudaoko to seek the truths to our puzzling questions. We took our time, some people got their mobile phones, and answered the six trivia questions and hailed a taxi ride back to Shaoyuan #2. I expected defeat, but to our teachers suprise we were first.
"Back so soon? You guys are fast!"
"what?? Were first? But but.... those guys tore out of the restaurant!" (Lisa, 'Drea and I were baffled)
"well...not if you can't answer the questions" our teacher grinned.
After explaining that we were representing two groups the prizes (a hat, caribeaner and book) were passed out. Tian lao shi just came into the office and our teachers explained how quick we were. She looked very please with our 'motivation to learn'.
"Now go and learn Chinese" she grinned.
We heard the third group crowd (the girls) crowd in the hallway. "Did we get it?? Hats? Anything else??"
I waved the book in the air. Sweet victory. IN YOUR FACE ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment