Monday, August 24, 2009

TAXI SCAM!!

DO I look Korean? Do I seriously look Japanese? I took a taxi ride home from Nanjing road. The "Pearl st" if you speak. It's freaking huge compared to your quiet Pearl St.

The guy couldn't break my 100 RMB. He said that since he was 'off duty' he offered a 20 RMB ride back to Jiao Zhou Road. I would walk home (2 miles away),but it was dark. The cabbie thought I was Korean. Wrong. I let him believe in a little story that I was a Japanese, 22 yrs old (he first guessed 25...wow do I look old? *cries. ) and when asked if I was an only child I said I had an older sister and younger brother. He noticed that my Mandarin was really good so then I said that I was Japanese born Chinese. I did put in some truths into the story. My parents were immigrants, the family was originally from Shanghai and were sent down during the revolution. This cabbie was also my Dad's age but he didn't get sent down.

"Ohhh looks like I have no change to break a 100 RMB note. I didn't really care nor the patience to deal with this jerk anymore. Rather than run to a nearby sotre to grab change  I just gave that 100 RMB note. I felt slightly cheated afterwards as I decided to buy a legit sandwich from this bistro cafe called "wagas" which caters to the foriegner. Very western. Like starbucks. Yum I got a chicken curry sandwich with mango chutney and chickpeas. Sorry I need a little break from 3 weeks of constant Chinese food. The waiter (Filipino I later asked and I KNEW He WAS!!) and the sweet cashier and I chatted a little about getting ripped off by a taxi. I should call the taxi company. I think I stepped into a 'fake' taxi. It was a private taxi not a company taxi. If you want to ride a taxi. GET INTO A TURQUOISE ONE!. Well I think that experince was needed. 15$ taxi ride home. Yeah go fuck yourself. Not letting that happen again. He said he was off duty at 9. Yeah dude it was 8:20 PM. You dumbass. Your clock said it too. He knew a few words in Japanese. Thank God for Japanese 1010. "How do you say 25...30...40...50?" You trying to rip me off buddy? 

Nanjing Road:Iwalked about an hour to get there from Urumuqi road. I got kicked off the no. 40 bus. Bus exploring failed after 15 minutes. I'll try again tomorrow. Better yet I'll use the subway. There's a few places I'm going to explore. I should've got a fucking guidebook. That would've been a good present. Geeze.

Anyways.....Nanjing road is where you see beautiful Europeans smoking their fags,beggers, and people shoving ads into your faces. They tap and touch your arm if you keep walking and ignore them. I resisted the reflexes that would make me say "FUCK OFF" or punch them in the face or groin.

I saw a movie today (I need friends here) called “Empire of Silver". I mised the first 5 minutes since I had to take an elevator to the 8th floor and search for the no. 5 screen. Though the rules CLEARLY state turn off your damn phone, and don't talk. People don't. Sure let your nokia default ringtone go off for 10 minutes. I wanted to find that person and kick them in the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment