I thought I could get away with suffering from a bout of illness, but Day # 7 into China my Aunt and I suffered from a light case of diaherea. Thank God for CIPRO.
Today's activities included more food, friends, and liquor. we got see Aunt's school buddies (Dad's mutual friends too). I finally got to see Wang Wei. LAst time I saw him was in '04 and I had a major crush on the pretty boy. Now he's getting married. ( I met his fiance today as well and I hope for the best)
"You're not shy like last time, you're skinnier too." people say. Well that's good to hear.
"Mature now." Is another adjective that was passed around. Yeah I mean I was 15 when met me and 5 years have really changed me. I was pretty awkward. Duh I was an angsty teenager.
Lanzhou dialect was contagious. My Dad speaks it better than the natives of Lanzhou and that's what all the people we met in Lanzhou said. So it should be true. He speaks it with such a raw flair.
Wang Wei entered the house in convere high tops, light blue jeans (skinny jeans in my opinion) and a black adidas sports jacket. He looked normal. Better than the suit pants and brown striped golf shirt. The business look is out.
Later, the 20 somethings (Zhang Jin, Wang Wei and I) relocated to her room where she was trying to start up her computer. Wang wei started to light up a cigarette when he offered one to my Dad
"I won't (I gave it up), but Susan can..here you wanna smoke Susan?" (My Dad discovered this dark secret the other day)
So I decided to inhale cancer for the 2nd time w/in three days. I got laughed at by Wang Wei since the way I held my fag was 'downright hilarious'...in some way.
Aunt Dora discovered another dark secret of mine. Damn it.
The phrase 'more open minded' was heard from Wang Wei's mouth constantly when we talked about differences b/t China & the U.S. Dirty little secrets were spilled; the fact that I drink like a camel, what alcohol I 'abuse', the copious amounts of green I inhale (JUST KIDDING). People have come to terms that I'm not a little girl anymore. Wang Wei was a bit suprised that I smoked. Mom can't know. She'll find out soon enough...damn. Don't worry I barely smoke. I don't go crazy if I can't smoke a cigarette.
A gracious Muslim styled Lanzhou lunch later the adults and youngsters parted ways. I was heading towards Five Spring Mountain 五泉山 with Wang Wei and Zhang Jing. we made a pit stop at Gou Bu Li 狗不理 dumpling house to visit Wang Wei's fiance who was celebrating her Grandpa's 75th birthday.
Earlier he mentioned that his girlfriend couldn't see us at the house.
"you're just making excuses so we can't see your future wife." I joked.
I witnessed firsthand a really awkward moment between Wang wei and his future father in law. Wang Wei came to raise his glass to the family and when he was about to give a toast to his father in law, the bastard said, "why the hell should I raise my glass with you?"
He was drunk.
Silence. Wang Wei was a little taken back, but didn't care. His fiance was livid with her Dad. “不好意思!”(So sorry!!!) was repeated many times from the female side of the family.
Awkward Chinese moment. Zhang Jing and I pulled the bride away from her father. Everyone pushed us out of the room while the phrase "let it go! let it go!" was uttered to calm the bride down. Soooo awkward.
Five Spring Mountain/Lanzhou Zoo
I will give kudos to Zhang Jing for going out all day in heels. You're crazy and I'm suprised that you didn't kill yourself.
The zoo is right next door to the base of the mountain. I saw my first panda and his bum was covered in dirt. Dirt and slow yet so cute!! The maintenance of the zoo? APPALLING. Where are the zookeepers? It's revolting to see trash in the animal pens and people young & old throwing and feeding junk to the animals. People even throw their bottled drinks at the creatures. I yelled at a few people, but people don't seem to care that their actions lead to consequences.
I caved in later to a 2 RMB bumper car hysteria. We had a lot of fun.
Later that night Wang Wei took us to dinner at a place called "Tang's Gruel." The translation is okay. Gruel just sounds gross. it's just a variety of delicious porridge. I had black sesame seed porridge and then smoked another “Lanzhou"brand cigarette because Wang Wei offered me one, and you can't refuse Lanzhou hospitality even when it's cancer.
This has to stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment